The Adventurer (the Seven)
Adventurers are active and optimistic. They avoid unpleasant emotions,
Self-Preservation Sevens: "Family and Like-Minded Friends"
Self-preservation Sevens tend to be more family oriented than the other
- I like having a home base where we share values and interests and provide
a network of support for each other.
- I often take the role of keeping people entertained and happy.
- Planning for and reminiscing about an adventure is usually at least
as thrilling as the adventure itself.
- I prefer my friends to be positive, as I am.
- I like to be spontaneous, but I also plan ahead to make sure I will
see my friends and not miss out on anything.
- When I take risks, they are usually measured rather than reckless.
- I spend a lot of time in and around my house.
Relational Sevens: "Excitement"
- I like challenge and action.
- Sometimes I push things to the edge or step on people's toes.
- I prefer whatever is unusual, intense, complex, or aesthetically pleasing.
- Sometimes I am seductive without meaning to be and get more entangled
than I had intended.
- I pursue fascinating people and adventures.
- When a relationship loses its charge, I may romanticize the person
to avoid boredom, or, if I feel trapped, I back away.
- I can become upset over the discrepancy between the ideal relationship and
- It makes me unhappy if my partner doesn't fully experience excitement and
adventure with me.
Social Sevens: "Impatient vs. Idealistic"
- I can see myself risking my life for a principle or cause I believe
- Sometimes I'm slow to act on my good intentions, especially when I
would have to give up some freedom.
- I try to stifle my longings for adventure and put responsibilities
to my family, career, or a cause first.
- I don't like the burden of feeling responsible for the people around
- I like companionship and brotherhood, but I can't stand it when anyone
tries to control or coerce me.
- I can be impatient. I want to take action right now instead of wasting
time bickering about procedures.
- Inequality among people upsets me. I wish there didn't have to be pecking
- I have a large circle of friends.
- I like to keep up on what is new in the community.
Renee Baron & Elizabeth Wagele
Are You My Type, Am I Yours?
Relationships Made Easy Through the Enneagram
HarperSanFrancisco, 1995, 184 pages